Aston Martin will not seek to overturn Fernando Alonso’s penalty for his driving prior to George Russell’s crash in last weekend’s Australian Grand Prix.
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
However, the team defended their driver against the stewards’ finding that the move was “at very least ‘potentially dangerous’.”
Team principal Mike Krack stressed that everyone involved in the sport is relieved Russell walked away from the crash at turn six. The stewards concluded Alonso, who was ahead of Russell at the time, had slowed more than 100 metres earlier for that corner than he had previously on the lap.
Krack said the team “fully support Fernando” but will not pursue an appeal because they do not have any new evidence to present for review.
“He is the most experienced driver in Formula 1,” Krack said. “He has competed in more grands prix than anyone else and has more than 20 years of experience. He is a multiple world champion in multiple categories.
“To receive a 20-second time penalty when there was no contact with the following car has been a bitter pill to swallow, but we have to accept the decision. We made our best case but without new evidence we are unable to request a right of review.”
Krack likened Alonso’s defensive driving in Australia to the way he raced in Brazil last year, when he held off Sergio Perez to secure the final podium spot.
“Fernando is a phenomenal racer and he was using every tool in his toolbox to finish ahead of George – just like we saw in Brazil last year with Sergio,” Krack said. Echoing Alonso’s own social media comment, he described the driving as “the art of motorsport at the highest level.”
“He would never put anyone in harm’s way,” Krack added.
The stewards issued Alonso a drive-through penalty during the race, which was converted after the event into a 20-second time penalty. That penalty dropped him from sixth to eighth in the final classification.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter andgo ad-free
2024 Australian Grand Prix
- Alonso calls Australian GP penalty a ‘one-off I’ve had too many of’
- Red Bull saw warning sign of Australian GP brake problem on Saturday – Verstappen
- Failing to punish Alonso would have “opened a can of worms” – Russell
- Leclerc sure “many team principals” are pursuing Sainz for 2025 seat
- “Don’t put me under pressure” – The best unheard team radio from Melbourne
Browse all 2024 Australian Grand Prix articles