Horner: Verstappen Contract Contains No Honda Clauses

Christian Horner has denied reports that Max Verstappen’s three-year contract with Red Bull contains a break clause tied to Honda’s announced withdrawal from Formula One. Speculation suggested Verstappen could become a free agent if Red Bull were left without a power unit supplier after Honda confirmed it would end its F1 programme following the 2021 season.

Honda announced on Monday that their F1 programme would end after 2021, leaving Red Bull and sister team AlphaTauri needing a new power unit supplier for 2022 onwards. Verstappen, who re-signed with Red Bull until the end of 2023 earlier this year, was rumoured to have a clause allowing him to leave if Honda’s exit forced the team back to Renault engines.

In his column for the team’s website, Horner made clear neither Verstappen nor team-mate Alex Albon have contract clauses specifically linked to Honda’s involvement. He wrote that, despite the private nature of contracts, there are no Honda-related provisions in either driver’s deal, and the announcement does not change their status with the team.

“People keep asking whether Honda’s departure would mean a change in our driver line-up or result in Max leaving the team,” Horner said. “I can tell you, that despite contracts being private there are no clauses related to Honda in Max or Alex’s contracts, so it does not change anything.” He added that he had spoken with Verstappen before Honda’s announcement and that the driver remains motivated, upbeat and confident in the team.

Horner acknowledged that finding and integrating a new engine supplier will be a significant challenge but welcomed the clarity and time the announcement provides to prepare. Integrating a different power unit and establishing the necessary communications and packaging is complex, he said, but Red Bull’s prior technical work with Toro Rosso (now AlphaTauri) and the team’s depth of knowledge give them adaptability.

“I would be lying if I said it is an easy task for a team to integrate a new power unit and ensure that the communication is there straight away,” Horner wrote. “But the initial work with Toro Rosso helped and as a team we are adaptable and pride ourselves in the depth of knowledge and experience we have to drive success. Now the situation is clear and we have time, which we are grateful to Honda for, we must find a competitive power unit solution for 2022 and beyond.”

Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free

2020 Eifel Grand Prix

  • Renault “not scared of anywhere” in remaining races
  • Bottas “needs a miracle” to overturn Hamilton’s 69-point lead
  • 2020 Eifel Grand Prix Star Performers
  • Leclerc sees ‘quite a few positives’ in Ferrari’s Nurburgring weekend
  • Mercedes relied on DAS “more than ever” at cold Nurburgring

Browse all 2020 Eifel Grand Prix articles